I hope you enjoy

An odd combination of Reformed theology posts, Bob Dylan out takes, gluten-free recipes, thoughts of mine, and anything else I find interesting on the interwebs. I hope you enjoy.

Sunday, May 3, 2015

Giving our Hearts to Jesus?

"Is this Scriptural?

Often an appeal is made to us "to take Christ" or we are urged to "decide for Christ" or "follow Christ" or "give ourselves to Christ" or "give our hearts to Christ." But, again, I think we must examine this. Is this scriptural? Does the Scripture put it in that way? Surely the Scripture does not ask, "Will you take Christ?" but "Will Christ take you?" Is it possible for him to take me in view of my sinfulness, my vileness, my guilt, my hopelessness? This idea that I can take Christ or not or that I should be pleaded with or cajoled, that pressure should be brought to bear upon me to "take Christ" or "follow him" is wrong – it is "I" all along. But I am a miserable worm, a wretch!"

~ D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment