I hope you enjoy

An odd combination of Reformed theology posts, Bob Dylan out takes, gluten-free recipes, thoughts of mine, and anything else I find interesting on the interwebs. I hope you enjoy.

Saturday, October 3, 2015

Freedom from Sin

We have been shown this tremendous freedom from the slavery of sin. Sometimes we don't understand, once we tell people,  why they don't "get it."
Our responsibility is to tell others and make disciples, and step out of the way, die to self, like John the Baptist, I must become less so He can become more.
The Holy Spirit will convict and bring others to repentance, and lead them to confession of sins, justification in Christ, and begin the process of sanctification. Illumination.
We gather to worship, to learn, to fellowship. (Definition of fellowship, I aways thought it was coffee and donuts after the service. I grew up in a church that said "after the service we will have a time of fellowship." But, it's everything's we do, Greek meaning, it's what we are doing right now.)
The church is for the people of God. If an unbeliever comes in, hopefully they will see the love of Christ manifest, and the Holy Spirit will speak to their hearts, and change their heart of stone to a heart of flesh.
(I love that analogy, a  stone cold, dead, still, unfeeling heart, to a warm, alive, beating, loving and living heart of flesh.)
Then we scatter to evangelize. To change our little part of the world.
Ever since our children were small, my prayer has been that they would go out into this world and influence what and who they can, wherever they are, in their part of the world. And now, our oldest is a college student living on campus, meeting and influencing others and carrying on that legacy.
We are all born in sin, it's in our nature, its our default, our natural tendency. Just look at a baby, the most selfish creature ever.
They will let you know if they are hungry, or tired, or their needs are not being met. Some of us are still selfish. We can be very selfish, if things don't go exactly the way we had planned them, or they way we think they should. This is why we need God to change our hearts.
The most honest statement I have ever heard from a preacher, was years ago, and I paraphrase: "I was making stir fry on the stove top and some hot oil crackled out of the pan and landed on my hand. I let out a word that I don't usually say, but it came out,  it was my default." He was admitting that he was human, sinful, and capable of the depths of sin. Many preachers would never admit to such a thing, and attempt to put up a front of Holiness, as a "man of God." and that is so wrong. We are all sinners saved only by God's grace to us.
Unmerited, Holy, perfect grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment