I hope you enjoy

An odd combination of Reformed theology posts, Bob Dylan out takes, gluten-free recipes, thoughts of mine, and anything else I find interesting on the interwebs. I hope you enjoy.

Friday, September 4, 2015

Good Luck Chuck

"I am not a big fan of the Disney channel, or the entire Disney franchise. However, when we lived in central Florida several years ago, we were confronted with it every day. Having said that, we are selective of what we watch on TV anyway, and even more selective of sitcoms. I believe comedy and humor are one of God's gifts, and I can appreciate a good joke, satire, or pun.
But the majority of today's programming is not only celebrating immorality, it is degrading to the traditional marriage and family.
So, the sitcom Good Luck Chuck was an "approved Netfix program" in our house. It's a mostly funny sitcom about a family, built around videotaping situations for later viewing presumably by the baby of the family, Chuck. I had viewed a few snippets here and there, but recently got to watch an entire episode. This episode involved the father reluctantly taking the youngest child, Chuck, to a ballet class. I say reluctantly, because his wife couldn't go because she had to work (Had to is a subjective term) and since she couldn't go, she wanted him to videotape the class. The first problem I see is in how the wife belittled and guilt tripped him into agreeing to even go, until he finally said insincerely "I'd be happy to."
It turns out the ballet teacher did not allow videotaping her class, and even after the husband informed his wife would be "mad at him" for not taping it, she still refused. In fact, the teacher said to him, "It's not my problem that you are afraid of your wife."
What kind of relationship are they portraying for the sake of a laugh? This is the classic, bumbling, afraid of the wife, stereotypical husband in many sitcoms.
This is just one example. I guess we should be glad at least Chuck has a male father and female mother that are still married, which is rare in both cases. One small example of the sad decline of society."
                  -   T. Meiers

No comments:

Post a Comment