I hope you enjoy

An odd combination of Reformed theology posts, Bob Dylan out takes, gluten-free recipes, thoughts of mine, and anything else I find interesting on the interwebs. I hope you enjoy.

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Trusting God

"I readily admit it is difficult to believe God is in control when we are in the midst of anxiety, heartache, or grief. I have struggled with this many times myself. Because of my schedule, most of my writing is done on an intermittent basis, a "few hours here and a few hours there." Because of that, this particular chapter was written and rewritten over a period of six weeks or more. During that time I had to work through God's sovereignty on two occasions myself. In each instance I realized I knew the truth regarding God's sovereignty. What I had to do was to decide if I would trust Him, even when my heart ached.

I realized anew that, just as we must learn to obey God one choice at a time, we must also learn to trust God one circumstance at a time. Trusting God is not a matter of my feelings but of my will. I never feel like trusting God when adversity strikes, but I can choose to do so even when I don't feel like it. That act of the will, though, must be based on belief, and belief must be based on truth."

~ Jerry Bridges, Trusting God: Even When Life Hurts

No comments:

Post a Comment