I hope you enjoy

An odd combination of Reformed theology posts, Bob Dylan out takes, gluten-free recipes, thoughts of mine, and anything else I find interesting on the interwebs. I hope you enjoy.

Saturday, June 27, 2015

On Bob Dylan's 74th Birthday

I have been a Dylan fan from way back. I had Greatest Hits Vol. 1 on 8 track, and still remember the day I bought Greatest Hits Vol 2 on vinyl. They weren't playing many of his songs on the radio, so I had to buy the recordings to hear them. One of my favorite songs when I graduated high school liated in my yearbook was Positively Fourth Street, a song most people hadn't heard of. I was born in 1960, so I was too young to understand the political situation at the time. Too young to understand The times they are a changin.
Too young to understand the protest songs of the era, and how some people embraced them as their own.
I learned the guitar chords to Girl from North Country from the Rod Stewart version. Most people, like me, first heard All along the watchtower from Jimi Hendrix and still don't know Knockin on Heavens Door was written by Dylan.                         And at 74 years old, still touring, still coming up with new arrangements.
Been through high school and college listening to Dylan. Songs mean different things at different times, and  Dylan always had passion for what he was singing, he was believable.
He believed in the subjects of his songs, and he sang them with conviction. It meant something. Many musicians today play and sing what I call  "meaningless music." I always believed if a person was going to take the time to write a song and record it, it should mean something. Dylan's songs mean something, if only to himself.
So, no matter whether you think he can sing or not,  no one can deny his longevity.  The man has simply been around a long time.
And for that I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment